Okay, I will own up to this one right off the bat. I moved over to Kaiser Psychiatry from Community Mental Health somewhere around a year ago. It has been, for the most part, a very good albeit somewhat bumpy transition. (Most of the landing gear was down before the plane hit the tarmac, anyway.)
I started out in San Rafael seeing Dr. Glass, who I think is a bobo. Boy is sweeter than he is bright, which is why all the other patients at Kaiser want to see him. He has bedside manner down to a fine art. However, he did write all my prescriptions at the wrong dosages, thus proving me right. (One was already in the computer - how can you possibly screw that up.) Then I had a guy who had the personality of a turnip. (I tested this theory by speaking with a turnip at the produce store. Yup - definitely same sense of bland disinterest.) didn't know you could use Benedryl for extrapyramidal symptoms, and didn't return an urgent e-mail sent on a Thursday evening until Monday morning. Like, hey...I made a point to let you know the symptoms before the weekend SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO BITE THE BULLET FOR 4 DAYS. It was like the scene in the first Harry Potter movie where he is trying out his first wand. Ollivander hands him a wand, Harry waves it, and draws fall out and stacks tumble over all over the place. Then Ollivander says "no, no. Definitely not!" Yuppers - that was a definitely not.
So I call and request a new psychiatrist. Now, it is sometimes hard for me to ask for what I want. But dang it - we're talking about a psychiatrist here - you might as well step on up and let them know what works. So I tell them I work really well with young women doctors. So the guy I'm talking to says "oh, we can do that. I know just where to put you". Oh my gosh, this psychiatrist looks likes shes 25. She is so cute. And bright. I like working with here. She asks intelligent questions, does thorough assessments, and goes over treatments. She assesses for suicidality on each visit (which is a task that frequently turns even the most seasoned professionals green). Yeah! Interpersonally, it is a good fit. But also, watching her from an objective point of view, her way of assessing and presenting treatment options is simply beautiful to watch. There is nothing more wonderful than a mental health professional who knows how to establish, assess, and treat while making it seem effortless. Oh, the heartbreaking beauty of it surpasses any other artistry I have ever witnessed.
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment